Reopening schools after 11 December 2020
Regulation valid from: 11. December 2020
Valid until further notice
Aktualizované 10. December 2020
Minister of Education, Science, Research and Sport pursuant to Article 150 paragraph 8 Act No 245/2008 Coll. on Education and Training (Education Act) and amendments of certain acts as amended, has decided:
With effect from 7 December 2020, if operating conditions allow and if the founder (operator) of the school so decides:
- to renew school education in primary schools in the fifth to ninth grade, in secondary schools, in primary art schools and in language schools for pupils and students who meet the conditions set out in point B(1) of the Resolution of the Government of the Slovak Republic No 760 of 4 December 2020 and in the Decree of the Public Health Authority of the Slovak Republic No 32/2020 V. v. SR, which in the event of a threat to public health, regulates the measures on proving a negative test result for COVID-19 before entering school premises; and
- to reopen schools for pupils pursuant point 1.
Provisions of Decision No 2020/17949: 1-A1810 of 23 October 2020 as amended by Decision No 18259: 1-A1810 and Decision No 2020/18259-A1810 are not affected by this Decision. In schools referred to in point 1, where education will not resume, heads of schools shall further provide for distance learning.
Regulations and obligations for reopening schools
Presenting a negative test result for COVID-19 is mandatory for:
Pupils in the fifth to ninth grade, students in secondary schools, and pedagogical staff teaching pupils in the fifth to ninth grade of primary schools and in secondary schools, if education process is conducted in person, in other than remote forms, namely before entering the indoor and outdoor areas of schools included in the network of schools and school facilities which provide education and training according to a special regulation.
A negative antibody test or RT-PCR test result for COVID-19 must not be older than 14 days.
Persons exempted from the obligation:
- persons who have overcome COVID-19 disease and have a document to prove that, not older than three months;
- persons whose health condition or contraindication prevent them from taking the antibody or RT-PCR test for COVID-19;
- persons who have been diagnosed with moderate to severe mental disability;
- persons treated for severe autism (autism spectrum) disorder;
- persons treated for severe congenital or acquired immunodeficiency;
- cancer patients after chemotherapy or patients after transplantation, persons with leukopenia, and persons undergoing cancer or other treatment that affects the immune system (e.g. biological treatment);
- pupils and staff in primary schools for pupils with special educational needs;
- pupils and staff in secondary special schools, vocational apprenticeship schools and practical schools;
- primary and secondary school pupils from socially disadvantaged backgrounds who take part in education in person in small groups consisting of a maximum of five pupils and one teaching staff;
- pedagogical staff teaching in small groups pursuant to point 2(i).
The statutory representative of the school or a person authorised by them is entitled to request the presentation of the relevant document from persons entering the indoor and outdoor premises of the school (the statutory representative or a person authorised by them are entitled to inspect such documents).
The presentation of the document may be replaced by a certificate of exemption issued by a medical professional who provides healthcare in the field of general medicine and with whom the person has a healthcare agreement; in the case of a child, by a paediatrician, a medical professional specialised in children and their diseases.
Visible location of the notification:
The statutory representative of the school is obliged to ensure that the notice of the obligation to present a negative antibody test result for COVID-19 not older than 14 days or a negative RT-PCR test result for COVID-19 not older than 14 days, and a notice of all exemptions under this decree, is placed at all entrances to the school and clearly visible to all.
Read the Decree of the Public Health Authority of the Slovak Republic No 39/2020 / Vyhlášku Úradu verejného zdravotníctva Slovenskej republiky č. 39/2020 (PDF, 258 kB) ordering measures in the event of a threat to public health to prove the negative result of the COVID-19 test before entering school premises as of 10 December 2020.